RE: st: regression where independant var with gaps

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: regression where independant var with gaps
Date   Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:25:23 +0100

If you know that a value is zero, then it is not missing. Situations with genuine missing values are not comparable.

Zero values are not a barrier to regression unless you want to transform a predictor with logarithms. That doesn't seem to be an issue here. If you have zeros on your response -- and as here your response is counted -- then an appropriate regression method is Poisson regression, to which you have been pointed several times. More generally any generalised linear model with logarithmic link can cope easily with some zero values on the response as long as positive conditional mean is a reasonable specification.

References to previous pointers in related threads started by you:

Austin Nichols' post of 13 June

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-06/msg00668.html

My post of 9 June

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-06/msg00508.html