st: merging multiple files in stata

From   "Tilahun, Negussie (CMS/CMMI)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: merging multiple files in stata
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:17:49 -0400

Hello!

I am an experienced sas programmer but I just started to work with stata.

How can I merge multiple files? I can merge two files successfully but
merging more than two becomes difficult.
The program below run without error but I don't get the result I expected.
i.e. after I merged the third file, the output file, temp_hsps, doesn't
contain data from all the three files - it contains data only from the first
two files.

Thanks,
Negussie

Here is my code

clear all
set mem 500m

use "C:\UserFiles\physndata.dta", clear
compress
rename pp_mnth mnth sort bene_id mnth, stable
keep bene_id mnth pp_mnthexp save "C:\UserFiles\temp_physn.dta", replace

use "C:\UserFiles\hspsdata.dta", clear
compress
rename hs_mnth mnth sort bene_id mnth, stable
keep bene_id mnth hs_mnthexp save "C:\UserFiles\temp_hsps.dta", replace

use "C:\UserFiles\temp_physn.dta"
merge bene_id mnth using "C:\UserFiles\temp_hsps.dta"

sort bene_id mnth
drop _merge

use "C:\UserFiles\opmnth.dta", clear
compress
rename op_mnth mnth sort bene_id mnth save "C:\UserFiles\temp_opmnth.dta",
replace

use "C:\UserFiles\NT\suraphl\temp_opmnth.dta"