Re: st: merging multiple files in stata

From   Steve Nakoneshny <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: merging multiple files in stata
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:06:57 -0600

Negussie,

The trouble with the code you provided is that you did not save your merged dataset prior to loading your "opmnth.dta" file. So while it didn't do what you *wanted* it did do what you *told* it to do.

Here is one possible solution for you, assuming -merge- syntax from Stata 11:
---------------------------------
use "C:\UserFiles\physndata.dta", clear
compress
rename pp_mnth mnth
sort bene_id mnth, stable
keep bene_id mnth pp_mnthexp
tempfile physn
save `physn'

use "C:\UserFiles\hspsdata.dta", clear
compress
rename hs_mnth mnth
sort bene_id mnth, stable
keep bene_id mnth hs_mnthexp
tempfile hsps
save `hsps'

use "C:\UserFiles\opmnth.dta", clear
compress
rename op_mnth mnth
sort bene_id mnth

merge 1:1 bene_id mnth using `physn'
drop _merge

merge 1:1 bene_id mnth using `hsps'

save "C:\UserFiles\mymergeddata.dta", replace

Steve