Re: st: RE: ivreg2 questions

From   Robert Davidson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: ivreg2 questions
Date   Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:38:41 -0400

Mark,

Sorry for what is purely an econometric question at this point
(removed from Stata) but there is still one thing that I am
misunderstanding.  In every text I can read, it basically says the
instrument must be correlated with the endogenous regressor (including
Mostly Harmless Econometrics and an Introduction to Modern
Econometrics Using Stata to name 2 - the latter stating the instrument
must be highly correlated).  These texts do not state that the
instrument must have a high correlation with the endogenous regressor
with the effect of a set of controlling variables removed (partial
correlation).  Is this just a simplification on the part of these
texts or again is there something I am missing?  And does this
basically mean that the validity of an instrument is conditional on
the other independent variables included in the primary model and not
just the dependent variable and the endogenous regressor?

Thank you again,
Rob