st: RE: ivreg2 questions

Subject   st: RE: ivreg2 questions
Date   Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:53:01 -0000

Rob,

It does.  However, the maximal IV relative bias test requires that the estimation be sufficiently overidentified (the reason is that the IV estimator has moments only up to the degree of overidentification).  You've got an exactly-identified model, so the relative bias test isn't well defined.

> Q2) I have had a difficult time finding valid instruments for
> C.  I have tried several that had reasonably high and
> significant correlations with C and no significant
> correlation with the error term from equation (1), but my
> f-stats were often around 7 or 8 (reasonably weak
> instruments).  Then, I tried another variable that was not
> highly correlated with C and the f-stat was about 25 and the
> results were similar to the main estimation.  Is it common
> that a variable that does not seem strongly associated with
> the endogenous regressor can serve as such a strong
> instrument or am I doing something wrong?

This might just be a misunderstanding.  The F stat is a kind of measure of partial correlation, i.e., with the exogenous covariates partialled out.  Perhaps when you were checking the correlations of the IVs with C, you were looking at correlations instead of partial correlations?

HTH,
Mark

> I know I cannot
> test for exogeneity, but this new variable does not seem
> correlated with the error term from equation (1).
>
> I apologize that this may have been sent twice.
>
> Thank you,
> Rob

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
researchers to join us in leading and driving research
in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see

    http://www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders

for further information and how to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.