st: RE: RE: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2

From   Daniel Brown <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:18:38 +0000

Mark,

Thanks. I am still not entirely certain that I have followed.

I am under the impression from what you have said and from the help file, that areg performs the exact same estimation as xtreg , fe; assuming that I 'absorb' on my panel variable in the areg regression. In other words the only difference between areg and xtreg, fe if you absorb on the panel variable in areg is that areg allows me to use weights that do not have to be constant within the panel over time. But other than that areg , absorb(panelvar) performs fixed effects estimation.

Yet when I manually time demean variables and run a regression using the weights that vary within the panel (in other words manually doing what I think areg is doing) I get different estimates. So I must have misunderstood somewhere here.

Thanks,
Dan
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Schaffer, Mark E [[email protected]]
Sent: 07 March 2012 14:27
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2

Dan,

xtivreg2,fe allows weights because it was easy enough to program the
feature - xtivreg2 is just a wrapper for ivreg2.

But whether or not weighting makes sense is up to the user.

xtivreg,fe does not allow weights, but areg - which reports the same
estimator - does.  The rationale is in -help areg-:

"areg is designed for datasets with many groups, but not a number of
groups that increases with the sample size.  See the xtreg, fe command
in [XT] xtreg for an estimator that handles the case in which the number
of groups increases with the sample size."

HTH,
Mark

> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
researchers to join us in leading and driving research
in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see

    http://www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders

for further information and how to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.