Re: st: merge by range of values using mata

From   Robert Picard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: merge by range of values using mata
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:09:24 -0500

If the ranges in B do not overlap, then here is a simple and very fast
way to doing this. Robert

*----------- begin example -------------
version 12

set seed 1234
clear

* Create observations with X between 0 and 100
set obs 20
gen idX = _n
gen X = runiform() * 100
list
tempfile A
save "`A'"

* Create non-overlapping ranges for X
clear
set obs 5
gen idB = _n
gen start_X = (_n-1) * 15
gen end_X = start_X + 10
gen Y = runiform() * 10
list

* Expand each range and define values for X
expand 2
sort idB
by idB: gen X = start_X if _n == 1
by idB: replace X = end_X if _n == 2
list, sepby(idB)

* Create a trick id (see below)
by idB: gen idB2 = cond(_n==1,idB,-idB)

* Append observations from A and order by X
append using "`A'"
sort X
gen idrange = sum(idB2)
list, noobs sepby(idrange)

* Target obs from A that fall within an idrange
keep if idrange != 0
sort idrange Y
by idrange: replace Y = Y[1]
list, noobs sepby(idrange)