Re: st: Looping over variables in more than one group

From   William Pratt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Looping over variables in more than one group
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:33:01 -0600

Refer to stepwise, it will allow you to set the significance levels
for variable inclusion. Though you really should consider the prior
comments using this ad hoc approach.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM, jaweria seth <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here. I've tried many methods with this
> regression model.
> Here's what I am trying to accomplish:
> I have over 80 variables available to me, and as they are finanacial
> metrics, most are highly and significantly correlated with one
> another.
> I am trying to build a multi-variate linear regression model that best
> predicts my Y variable (profit/ returns/ etc..)...
> Thinking about this intuitively, the majority of the variables should
> work, but my issue is: how do I choose which variables to include?
>

> Any help would be appreciated,
> Thanks,
> j.seth
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Joerg Luedicke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> This is data mining and if you are interested in hypothesis testing
>> your p-values will be of no use. To give just a simple example, based
>> on your question: imagine you have 5 variables and each is supposed to
>> measure the same thing, say x. Now you run 5 regressions for each of
>> those variables and find that only one of them is "significant". Would
>> you then conclude that x has a "significant" effect on y?
>>
>> Remember that the goal of statistical modeling is to provide useful
>> information that cannot be obtained otherwise (or only with much
>> higher costs). The goal is not to find p-values below some arbitrary
>> threshold.
>>
>> J.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM, jaweria seth <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Thanks J,
>>> You are correct. In theory, i expect a 'production/size' variable to
>>> significantly affect my dependent variable, however, I wanted to let
>>> the regression spit out which of the variables in that category are
>>> most significant (since they are somewhat similar). In that case, I am
>>> looking to the tstatistics of the independent variables in the model.
>>> Is that not correct?

>>> --
>>> Jaweria Seth
>>>
>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:

> *   For searches and help try:

University of Texas-Pan American
College of Business Administration
Department of Finance and Economics
South Texas Border Health Disparities Center
o - 956.665.7937
f - 956.665.7310