Re: st: Implementing a Momentum Investment Strategy with Stata

From   Richard Herron <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Implementing a Momentum Investment Strategy with Stata
Date   Sun, 4 Mar 2012 17:40:42 -0500

I don't think there's a need to use -rolling-. I think there are two
main steps here. Generating the portfolios, then generating the time
series of returns for eash of these portfolios.

I would generate the portfolios using -xtile- from the -egemore- package (SSC).

generate ret6 = s6.price / l6.price
egen portfolio = xtile(ret6), nquantiles(10) by(date_ym)

where -ret6- is your holding period return and -date_ym- is the
year-month date (say 2001m5). Now generate the portfolio holding
period returns using collapse and time series operators.

collapse (mean) f6.ret6, by(date_ym portfolio)

You may also want to use weightings to determine portfolio weights
(although I think Jegadeesh and Titman is all equally weighted). Now
you can use these portfolios to generate returns to your strategy.
HTH.