Re: st: Implementing a Momentum Investment Strategy with Stata

From   Robson Glasscock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Implementing a Momentum Investment Strategy with Stata
Date   Sun, 4 Mar 2012 09:20:09 -0500

Christopher Baum's "An Introduction to Stata Programming" discusses
moving-windows in Chapter 8. The -rolling- command is mentioned as
well as Cox and Baum's -mvsumm- and -mvcorr- programs (available from
SSC). Looking into these may help you think about a modified approach
to your problem.

Instead of using matrices, I wonder if it would be better to generate
two new variables that would help you identify the top 10% of firms in
each window. First, generate a "window" variable that would take on a
value of 1 for months 1-6, 2 for months 2-7, 3 for months 3-8, etc.
Second, generate an "identifier" variable that tags the top 10% of
firms in each window. You would know exactly which firms were included
in each window and then it would be possible for you to calculate the
returns for those firms over the next six months. Or maybe clever use
of -rolling- is the better approach here. I'm not sure, but I hope
this is enough to get you started.

best,
Robson Glasscock