Re: st: SAS vs STATA : why is xtlogit SO slow ?

From   Klaus Pforr <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: SAS vs STATA : why is xtlogit SO slow ?
Date   Mon, 06 Feb 2012 01:20:36 +0100

<>

I just noticed, that you didnt even mention your name... Anyways, I think this really boils down to a problem of a too extreme data set. You seem to have about 92000 panel groups (6.5 million / 70), which is a large N. But you also have panel groups with a very large T, namely e.g. this 20000 T panel. Computing effort with FE logit largely depends on this T_i and on the number of events (p. 288 in reference manual pdf). One of the previous posts already already suggested to standardize your independent variables. You also estimated the analysis with a subsample (random?). With both of these dont satisfy you, I think you should simply stick with your SAS results. The SAS code seems to be correct.

How long do you wait for the first likelihood step (the infinite result)?

Klaus