Re: st: query regarding thin plate spline method

Subject   Re: st: query regarding thin plate spline method
Date   Tue, 6 Dec 2011 13:47:27 -0600

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:58 AM, behailu ayele <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks so much . As usual your suggestions helped. Thinplate is
> running but like you said, it is generating me graphs and not giving
> me the interpoliated figures I am looking for.
>
> My reason for using the thinplate method is because I am using climate
> data from several stattions and the papers that use similar data say
> they use the thin plate spline method to interpoliate climate data
> from meteorological stations into farm level observations.

Nick Cox is right: I wrote this program 10 years ago when I started my
Ph.D. program... few people on this list would remember how to program
in Stata 7 :). You should try to figure out how the paper you
mentioned (consider providing the full reference here on the list!)
defines the knots, and then see if you can get something similar from
my -thinplate generate-. Then you can feed these knots into a regular
-regress-, get the predicted values, and plot them using Stata 12
-twoway contour- (which I inquired about at a Stata User Group Meeting
roughly at the same time I wrote -thinplate-). That's the best advice
I can give at the moment.