Re: st: query regarding thin plate spline method

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: query regarding thin plate spline method
Date   Tue, 6 Dec 2011 09:49:27 +0000

-thinplate- is a program by Stas Kolenikov available from his website.
You are asked to explain where user-written programs you refer to come
from.

Your two problems are that you have installed -thinplate- but Stata
cannot find it, and that you have run -thinplate- but see no results.
The first is difficult to comment on as you say nothing about how you
installed it and where.

Either way,

1. -thinplate- says it is for smoothing, but you say you want interpolation.

2. -thinplate- gives a complete example in its help. You should be
able to test your installation by running that example.

3. -thinplate- is for Stata 7 and runs old-style graphics.

4. For your second problem the advice in the Statalist FAQ applies as usual.

"Say exactly what you typed and exactly what Stata typed (or did) in
response. N.B. exactly! If you can, reproduce the error with one of
Stata's provided datasets or a simple concocted dataset that you
include in your posting."

5. Stata 12 includes contouring based on thin plate splines. See

http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?twoway_contour

Conversely, if you are not using Stata 12, the FAQ advises you to make
that clear.

Nick