Re: st: How to set a range from 0 to positive infinity in calculating integrals?

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to set a range from 0 to positive infinity in calculating integrals?
Date   Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:10:00 +0200

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Chris Min wrote:
> But, I did mean "normal()" in my example (i.e., I need to calculate integrals of cumulative normal), not normalden(). In that case, would your explanation still apply to my example?

In case of the cumulative density function my instinct tells me that
the answer will be positive infinity. The argument I made before
worked because at ever larger numbers the density function gets closer
to 0, so it will add increasingly less to the integral, meaning that
after some suitably high number you can approximate those
contributions to be 0. The cumulative density function approaches 1 at
positive infinity, so the contributions to the integral at higher
numbers will not be approximately 0, so the area under the cumulative
density function for 0 to positive infinity will also be infinite.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie