Re: st: destring command

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: destring command
Date   Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:14:21 +0100

Paul is emphasising that double negative signs are not necessarily to
be treated as if they were negative signs.

Naturally, I agree.

Part way through my exchange with Abu on Saturday I noticed that he
had posted "--" not "-" but guessed, perhaps wrongly, that this was a
red herring, a typo or both.

However, the difference is lost on -destring-'s -ignore()- option.
Expanding on Paul's explanation, let's imagine that one of the values
in a string variable is "--42" (two negative signs there, for those
whose eyesight or monitor is not up to the job).

Any argument to -destring, ignore()- is just treated as a sequence of
characters. The effect of specifying -ignore(--)- is to remove "-"
signs once and then to (try to) remove them again. The second request
is clearly redundant but certainly not illegal.

So if you specify -ignore(--)- with "--42" both "-" characters are
removed and -destring- returns 42.

If you specify -destring- but not the -ignore()- option -destring-
refuses on "--42" unless you -force- the conversion and it then
returns missing.

As ignoring negative signs is almost always a very bad idea with
-destring- any way, the fact remains that -destring- without
-ignore()-  will spot the difference betweeen two negative signs and
one, which seems to be the main consideration here.

If you really want to ignore double negative signs but not single
negative signs, then it would be necessary to remove them before
applying -destring-. Paul's advice to do something like

. replace v13 = "" if v13 == "--"

leaves the question of what to do with something like "--42", for
which you would need something more like

. replace v13 = subinstr(v13, "--", "",.)

Nick