Re: st: destring command

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: destring command
Date   Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:37:20 +0100

Fundamentally, Nick is right in his advice to Abu.
"-" should not be included in the ignore() option for -destring-.
-destring- ignores individual characters, not
text strings (whether separated by spaces of quotation marks).
It is very useful if this is borne in mind.

Before invoking Nick's suggestion,
Abu should remove all unwanted occurrences of "--"

This can be done by
	replace v13 = "" if v13 == "--"

A useful trick to use before -destring- is
tab v13 if real(v13) == ""
This will reveal all and only the values that do not come across correctly.

Abu also gives a list of examples.
I am not sure what to happen to two of them :

- -1.388
- -3.301

Are these to be read as  1.388 or -1.388?
He needs to specify precisely.
He can use something like
	replace v13 = "-1.388" if v13 == "- -1.388"

BW

Paul T Seed, Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics,
Division of Women's Health, King's College London
Women's Health Academic Centre KHP
020 7188 3642.