RE: st: Generating Murphy-Topel standard errors in Stata

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Generating Murphy-Topel standard errors in Stata
Date   Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:39:44 -0400

Hi Breanna,

I think that a lot of hassle could be saved by estimating this model in -gllamm-, using numerical integration. You could estimate the whole path model (X--->Z---Y; X--->Y) with both the probit and linear links simultaneously rather than in piecemeal fashion, and correct the standard errors for clustering at the same time. I don't know how you would get a consistent estimator of the asymptotic covariance matrix of the parameter estimates by combining the Murphy-Topel and Taylor linearization methods for the clustered case. This would need to be studied. Maybe it has, I don't know, but I think just avoiding that issue with -gllamm- would be the most prudent strategy. Anyway, the model might take a little while to converge in -gllamm-... but my guess is that it would probably not be prohibitively long because you have no latent variables.
http://www.gllamm.org/  ;

My two cents,

Cam