Re: Re: st: placing two textboxes in a graph on the x-axis

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: placing two textboxes in a graph on the x-axis
Date   Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:49:14 +0100

-xmlabel()- is documented under -axis label options-. That's where I
would expect. Where did you look?

You can move labels up or down by changing the length of the
corresponding ticks. The objection is then likely to be that long
ticks are not wanted. But when I want extra text I often just use
-tlcolor(none)- to make the ticks invisible. And although the
-?mlabel()- are born small they can be made bigger.

So, for putting extra text on graph axes I often use -xmlabel()- or
-ymlabel()- with long but invisible ticks and a big label size.

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. scatter mpg weight

. scatter mpg weight, xmla(4500 "4500")

. scatter mpg weight, xmla(4500 "4500", tlength(*3))

. scatter mpg weight, xmla(4500 "4500", tlength(*6))

. scatter mpg weight, xmla(4500 "4500", tlength(*6) tlcolor(none))

. scatter mpg weight, xmla(4500 "4500", tlength(*6) tlcolor(none) labsize(*3))

In terms of Ariel's more general comments:

1. Do you mean something other than the Graph Recorder?

2. It seems inevitable that a fat manual documenting a complicated set
of commands is a bit frustrating sometimes. I think StataCorp would
want specifics of what is not documented and what is documented in
puzzling places.

Nick