RE: RE: st: RE: Problem with xi and xtivreg2

Subject   RE: RE: st: RE: Problem with xi and xtivreg2
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:58:34 +0100

Juan,

The key part of the error message looks like

> Warning - singleton groups detected.  1584207 observation(s) not used.

My guess is that these are all or virtually all the observations in your
dataset.  After they all get thrown out, -xtivreg2- gives the misleading
error message that too few variables are specified, but actually there
are too few observations.

Singleton groups are panels where there is one observation.  In FE or FD
estimation, -xtivreg2- throws these out - you can't have any within
variation in a group if you have only one observation for that gorup.

What happens when you simply omit the year dummies?  It's possible that
they have nothing to do with the problem.

--Mark