Fwd: st: Local Linear Regression for Regression Discontinuity Designs

From   Jen Zhen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Fwd: st: Local Linear Regression for Regression Discontinuity Designs
Date   Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:10:34 +0200

I noticed one related point, which might (!) potentially be helpful in
detecting the problem (?):

When I use -rd- (instead of -rd_obs- as below), then -scalar
bandwidth=e(w)- and then -disp bandwidth-,
I always get a missing value. So maybe there is a common problem with
the e(.) outputs?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jen Zhen <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: st: Local Linear Regression for Regression Discontinuity Designs
To: [email protected]

Andreas, Alex and Austin,

I came across this "triple A" post and tried Austin's suggestions
myself, i.e. I obtained the latest version of -rd- and -rd_obs- with
-net from (the UMichigan website given my Austin)- and then used the
following code:

sysuse auto, clear
ren price y
gen x = length - 193
gen z = (x >= 0)
gen z_x = z*x
reg y z x z_x if inrange(x,-10,10) mbw(10)
rd_obs y x, bw(10) kernel(rectangle).
Following the suggestions in this thread, I expected to get the same
result with both commands, but in practice the first gave me
-7002.956 and the second gave me -7109.5027.

Would Austin or one of the others by any chance be able to see why this is?

Sidenote 1: the latter command also returns the error message
"esample() invalid", albeit only after giving me the estimation
results.
Sidenote 2: When, after use of -rd_obs-, I type -scalar obs=e(N)- and
then -disp obs-, I always get 74, regardless of which bandwidth I
specify in the respective rd_obs option, and that 74 is also larger
than the 22 observations used when I do the regression manually with
-reg-. So I'm wondering whether possibly the -bw- option is not
working properly (or I'm misusing it)?

Thanks a lot and all best,
JZ