Re: st: Elimination of outliers

Subject   Re: st: Elimination of outliers
Date   Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:11:27 -0400

Nick--
I don't pretend to know much about environmental data; but I did a
quick introspection, followed by a quick google on air quality
sensors, and found
Engel-Cox, J.A. and Holloman, C.H. and Coutant, B.W. and Hoff, R.M. 2004.
"Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of MODIS satellite sensor
data for regional and urban scale air quality."
Atmospheric Environment, 38(16):2495--2509.
which seems to indicate a lot of concern about extreme readings on air
quality; if one were regressing some y on air quality and other
explanatory variables, it seems reasonable to drop the extreme
measurements.  Better to get auxiliary measurements and run IV for
measurement error; best to get error-free measurements; but in the
event that one must proceed with error-prone data, dropping the
extreme data on explanatory variables can often be a reasonable step.