Re: st: Elimination of outliers

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Elimination of outliers
Date   Mon, 6 Jun 2011 21:24:59 +0100

I don't think what happens in contrived simulations hits the main
methodological issue at all. As a geographer, some of the time, an
outlier to me is something like the Amazon which is big and different
and something that needs to be accommodated in the model.  That can be
done in many ways other than by discarding outliers. Once throwing
away awkward data is regarded as legitimate, when you do stop?
(Independent evidence that an outlier is untrustworthy, as in lab
records of experiments, is a different thing, although even there
there are well-known stories of discarding as a matter of prior
prejudice.)

To make the question as stark as possible, and to suppress large areas
of grey (gray): There are people who fit the data to the model and
people who fit models to the data. It may sound like the same thing,
but the attitude that one is so confident that the model is right that
you are happy to discard the most inconvenient data is not at all the
same as the attitude that the data can tell you something about the
inadequacies of the current model.

Nick

/