Re: st: Wanted: simulated data with cluster structure

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Wanted: simulated data with cluster structure
Date   Thu, 12 May 2011 09:46:39 +0200

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Bert Jung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the heads-up Austin.  I wonder if it would be useful to
> post (here or elsewhere) simulation code for various standardized
> situations?  Apart from my own need, I understand from colleagues that
> there is both demand and confusion on these matters.

It is hard to determine what "standard situations" are, they tend to
differ quite a bit from discipline to discipline. This is in part due
to "real" differences in terms of the kind of questions that are being
asked and the kind of data that can be collected, but in part this is
also due to differences in folklore as to what potential problems are
critically important and what potential problems can be safely
ignored.

Having said that, a list of tricks can be useful. A list covering the
basics (e.g. I did not get to clustering) can be found in this talk
that I gave at the 2008 North American Stata Users' Group meeting:
http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/nsug08/14.html

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis