Re: Re: st: Bootstrap error message

From   Alistair Windsor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: Bootstrap error message
Date   Wed, 11 May 2011 11:34:01 -0500

The capture block should not be active. I rewrote the code to avoid the case where the capture was necessary. I removed my comments to keep the code small. I will try removing the capture block to see if it makes a difference. Probably poor coding the first time round.

/* capture is necessary since some project have no students on
      some semester standings and this causes a crash unless capture
      is present */

The e(b) is generated somewhere within the bootstrap procedure (more precisely bootstrap.BootStrap). The only reference that I can find to e(b) is

		- capture confirm matrix e(b) e(V)
                    - if !_rc {
                    - tempname fullmat
                    - _check_omit `fullmat', get
                    = _check_omit __000001, get
                    - local checkmat "checkmat(`fullmat')"
                    = local checkmat "checkmat(__000001)"
                    - }

which looks to me like it should do nothing if e(b) is not present. Increasing the tracedepth it seems like the error is generated in

		 = _check_omit __000001, check result(omit)

thought I have no idea what this is doing. Thanks for pointing me at tracedepth. I had tried trace-ing the error but indeed was drowning in the bootstrap code.

Given that this message is obscure is there some way of restructuring my code to avoid this?

I share your reservations about bootstrapping matching results. The Imbens paper I alluded to doesn't give justification for why you should but rather why you shouldn't.

ON THE FAILURE OF THE BOOTSTRAP FOR MATCHING ESTIMATORS
Author: Abadie, A. Imbens, G. W.
Journal title
TECHNICAL WORKING PAPER- NATIONAL BUREAU OF ECONOMIC RESEARCH INCORPORATED
Bibliographic details 	2006, ISSU 325, pages ALL

I am also going to try bootstrapping a reweighting scheme. The Abadie and Imbens paper addresses matching on covariates which is slightly different from matching on estimated propensity scores. Nonetheless the current literature on propensity score matching either uses bootstrapping to compute standard errors or just reports the two sample t-test results. I am doing both with caveats on both. I am unsure of any proven statistically valid method for computing standard errors for propensity score matching estimators. The situation with reweighting is slightly better with regards the validity of bootstrapping but then the estimated propensity score enters as a nuisance parameter and in my case the result seems to be very sensitive to overlap and trimming.

Elizabeth Stuart wrote a paper "Matching Methods for Causal Inference:
A Review and a Look Forward" in Statistical Science 2010, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1–21 in which she said

When researchers want to account for the uncertainty in the matching, a bootstrap procedure has been found to outperform other methods (Lechner, 2002; Hill and Reiter, 2006). There are also some empirical formulas for variance estimation for par- ticular matching scenarios (e.g., Abadie and Imbens, 2006, 2009b; Schafer and Kang, 2008), but this is an area for future research.

Yours,

Alistair