Re: st: Comparing two data set

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Comparing two data set
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:10:23 +0000

I don't think there is any logical difficulty here. If the same
mistake was made twice, a check of whether observations are identical
will not also be a check of whether the data are correct. The point of
double data entry is that repeated mistakes are less likely than a
mistake made once, but nothing makes mistakes impossible. Also, there
are usually other logic checks or range checks that can be made about
data that may catch some kinds of repeated mistakes.

A century and more ago Charles Darwin emphasised that false facts are
much more difficult to eliminate than false ideas.

Am I missing something in your question?

Nick