Re: st: how to encode 2 var's?

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: how to encode 2 var's?
Date   Tue, 1 Mar 2011 03:30:35 +0000

<>

Similar to what Fernando already suggested, I like using making a lookup table to merge to each list of names. You mention that this cannot be done because of people being in "higher" or "lower" positions -- my guess is that this means that the names in the 2 variables appear in different observations (so they don't line up), even if this is the case, I still think merging in the list of names is a good solution.

Here's an example of one way to accomplish this (you will need to install Nick Cox's -labmask- found via the command -findit labutil- ):

**************!
clear
**create fake dataset**
if _rc ssc install labmask, replace
inp str15(name1) str15(name2) othervar
"Tom Smith"  "Ann Jones" 1
"John Tompkins" "Joe Summers" 2
"Ann Jones"  "Ian Johnson" 43
"Joe Summers"  "Tom Smith" 22
"B Jones"  "Tom Smith" 99
end
li

**create look up tables**
preserve
stack name*, g(2) clear
drop _stack
duplicates drop
g id1 = _n
sa "lookup1.dta", replace
li
rename name1 name2
rename id1 id2
sa "lookup2.dta", replace
li
restore

**merge data & encode variables**
forval n = 1/2 {
	merge m:1 name`n' using "lookup`n'.dta"
	drop if _m!=3
	drop _m
	**make sure labutil/labmask is installed
	labmask id`n', values(name`n')
	}
l, nolab
-- If the fake data I provide do not represent the 2 variables you are working with, please provide more details/examples.

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute