Re: st: main effect insignificant, interaction term significant

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: main effect insignificant, interaction term significant
Date   Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:16:50 -0500

it looks like these are each binary (dichotomous) variables; you will
find it much easier to deal with if you make one of the 4 possibilities
the reference group (e.g., male-neversmoked) and form dummies for each
of the other 3 (male-smoke, female-neversmoked, female-smoked)

re: your specific question, you should look at Nelder, JA (1998), "The
selection of terms in response-surface models -- how strong is the
weak-heredity principle?", _The American Statistician_, 52: 315-318

Rich