Re: st: RE: Problems with the reshape command

From   Syed Basher <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Problems with the reshape command
Date   Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:37:54 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Rebeca and Nick for your invaluable insight. I agree with Nick that my
data is not suitable for -reshape-, although I found the example by Rebeca is
pretty useful.

Syed

----- Original Message ----
From: "POPE, REBECCA" <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, January 19, 2011 8:33:17 PM
Subject: st: RE: Problems with the reshape command

Hi Syed,
I'm a bit confused by your use of the term "cross-tab", but since you are using
reshape, I'm going to assume you are just trying to get the prices for the
different goods to become variables. If so, do you have some other additional
identifying variable that you could use in your reshape command? If you have
multiple prices for the same item at the same port, might the shipments be from
different suppliers or have arrived on different dates? If so, you could use
something like the following:

. reshape wide price, i(port date) j(item)

I'm guessing this won't give you exactly what you want because there will still
be multiple lines per port (at least if your real data looks like the
hypothetical data), but you'll have gotten around reshape's objections and can
use other commands to consolidate after that. Other users might have more
elegant solutions, but I hope this helps.

If you don't have another logical ID variable to add to port, you can generate a
fake one by doing the following:

. by port, sort: generate line = _n
. reshape wide price, i(port line) j(item)

port   line   pri~1006   pri~2011   pri~2045   pri~4029   pri~4061   pri~7031
pri~8041

1      1          .          .          .          .      92.79          .
    .

1      2      37.55          .          .          .          .          .
    .

1      3          .          .      16.21          .          .          .
    .

2      1          .          .          .          .          .          .
12.55

2      2          .      13.13          .          .          .          .
    .

2      3          .      89.68          .          .          .          .
    .

3      1          .          .          .      27.62          .          .
    .

3      2          .          .      15.18          .          .          .
    .

3      3          .          .          .          .          .      68.01
    .

3      4          .          .          .      15.47          .          .
    .

Regards,
Rebecca

Rebecca A. Pope