st: comparing between uneven groups using logistic regression??

From   Alison McCarthy <[email protected]>
To   stata <[email protected]>
Subject   st: comparing between uneven groups using logistic regression??
Date   Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:21:27 +1100

Dear statalist

I have recently got some feedback on a technique used in a report. This report examine differences in mental illness between two (cases of alcohol related deaths) groups using logistic regression (age and gender were included as covariates). The groups were very different in size. One group had 100 persons in it, the other had 4050.  The reviewer stated that logistic regression was innapropriate and that I should consider using "Chi-square test with adjustment on the effect of size". I have been looking about for this in stata but am at a dead end.
Can anyone provide any direction about what technique to look at?

I was also thinking to adjust for the difference in the two groups using the weight option. To weight the results of a logistic by age and gender, could this be calculated by multiplying the two variables e.g. logistic ALCOHOLDEATHgroups DEPRESSION [pweights= age*gender]

These are probably very silly questions, but any directions about where to start would be much appreciated.
Cheers