st: two-level dataset, binary outcome, 4 level-2 variables

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: two-level dataset, binary outcome, 4 level-2 variables
Date   Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:27:43 +0000

Dear stata users,

I am a PhD student from London, and would appreciate your advice on a two-level dataset. We have a binary outcome (sick/healthy) for individuals in several cities. Every city has a different number of individuals. We have four variables, they are all on the city-level, so we have no individual level variables. We wish to test if the variables are predictive of the outcome sick/healthy.

Question 1: Simple logistic regression does not seem to be able to take into account the different numbers of individuals per city, so we currently are of the opinion that multilevel logistic regression is the appropriate analysis for us. But is this really necessary, given that we do not have any individual level variables?

Question 2: IF multilevel logistic regression is the way to go, would this be the correct command for STATA?

xtmelogit  binary_outcome ||  city_list:  Var_1 Var_2 Var_3 Var_4

Many thanks in advance for your advice,
Rik