Re: st: "Separation" issue in clustered/Longitudinal binary data.

From   <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: "Separation" issue in clustered/Longitudinal binary data.
Date   Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:01:51 -0600 (CST)

You are absolutely right! In my case, the research design
didn't collect the "side effects" data if the respondents were
not on meds (there was a skip pattern). Usually in clinical
research, there will be a placebo group serving as the
reference (so that the denominator in odds ratio won't be a
true zero.) I just hoped that the baseline data, where most of
the respondents who were not on med and didn't report any SE,
could serve as their own control group. But I forgot the most
basic assumption of odds ratio. Thank you so much for your
reminding.

However, just out of my curiosity - although my question has
been well solved - is there any way to model total/quasi-
separated binary outcomes in longitudinal data? I find now
the firth correction is available for logistic and Cox
proportion regression, but can't find any equivalence for
longitudinal data. I can easily foresee this could be an
issue in longitudinal data analysis if the outcome variable a
is binary variable.

Best, and happy Christmas.

Cheenghee M Koh