Re: st: "Separation" issue in clustered/Longitudinal binary data.

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: "Separation" issue in clustered/Longitudinal binary data.
Date   Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:19:54 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 22/12/10, [email protected] wrote:
> I am now working on a longitudinal dataset. The outcome
> variable is a binary variable (a patient-reported drug's
> side effect) with repeated measures for three waves. Now I
> have an intervention (whether the participant received the
> drug), and I have used xtgee, xtlogit and xtmelogit to model
> the effects of this intervention on the outcome in a few
> different ways. However, no matter which method I used, I
> always encountered the separation issue.

I may be missing something obvious, but don't you need to use
the drug in order to experience its side-effects. This is in
part a substantive/medical issue, but also a matter of how the
data were collected. Even if you could experience the same
symptoms without using the drug, I can easily imagine situations
where questionnaires redirected respondents who do not use the
drug to the next question, so they trivially cannot have
reported the side-effects/symptoms, or in register data where
these symptoms are defined as side-effects only when the drug is
used, etc. If something like that is happening in your data,
then it is hard to see how an "effect" of your treatment could
have a meaningful substantive interpretation. In that case the
problem is no longer "what kind of technique can I use to
estimate my effect?" but "what effect do I want to estimate?"

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie