st: Re: How to caculate the 90th percentile and 50th percentile of the wage distribution in my data set using stata?

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: How to caculate the 90th percentile and 50th percentile of the wage distribution in my data set using stata?
Date   Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:05:37 +0900

Zhiqiang Zhang wrote:

Hi everyone, Did someone know how to generate the 90th percentile and 50th
percentile of the wage distribution?
I am working on a paper about the wage inequality of China.  I read some paper
that the inequality is caculated based on the percentile wage differences, I
want to carry out my researh as follows:

The analysis revolves around two empirical models in which the respective
dependent

variables are specified as the difference of the log 2001 wage between:

(i) the most skilled (measured by the 90th percentile of the wage distribution)
and the least skilled

(measured by the 10th percentile of the wage distribution);

(ii) The most and 'medium'skilled worker (measured by the 50th percentile of the

wage distribution);

Did someone know how to generate the 90th percentile and 50th percentile of the
wage distribution?
thank you very much!

Does -centile- do what you want?

centile wage, centile(10 50 90)
return list
display in smcl as text "90th: `r(c_3)'; median: `r(c_2)'; 10th: `r(c_1)'"

Joseph Coveney