Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations

Subject   Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations
Date   Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:25:59 -0600

-tabstat- is far from the most appropriate command for this purpose.
There are several ways to achieve what you need.

1. Use -egen- command:

egen sdy = sd( y )

2. Use saved results from -summarize- (type -return list- to find out
what these are):

sum y
gen sdy = r(sd)

I personally think that having a variable equal to a constant is a
data management oxymoron... variable must vary, by the virtue of its
name :). You probably only need it for another step or two in data
analysis, e.g., if you want to simulate a new set of errors with the
same variance:

sum y
gen new_y = rnormal()*r(sd)