Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations

From   "M.P.J. van Zaal" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations
Date   Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:33:44 +0100

Thanks for your help mr Kolenikov.

However, im not sure the tips you gave me adress my problem. I will
rephrase in more detail:

The goal of my analysis is the examine sorting effects. The standard
deviations are measures of risk of different options individuals have.
The individuals sort themself in one of those options by choosing a
risk level of the liking. The 106 standard deviations are thus the
different possible "types" of the individuals in the sample.
I want to have a variable with the 106 different standard deviations
so i can use it as dependent variable in my regression.

The 106 standard deviations have ofcourse different frequencies,
because some options are more frequently chosen. Do you think i should
incorporate this?

Anyways, it would be awesome if you can give me some usefull STATA
procedures. Other STATAlist users are ofcourse also welcome to give
their advice!

regards,

Mathijs (first timer in a real research project involving stata)