Re: st: specifying SVYSET in household survey using multi-stage clustered sampling

From   Karin Seyfert <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: specifying SVYSET in household survey using multi-stage clustered sampling
Date   Sun, 3 Oct 2010 14:43:19 +0300

Dear Steve,

hank you for taking the time! As for your questions:

1. That varies across region, generally 50-60% in camps and 40-50% in
gatherings. This information has been provided by the agency
responsible for the refugees. I compared them with NGO data were
available and think they are good guesstimates.

2. In each region between two and six gatherings were selected.
a. We select the first gathering with a probability proportionate to
it's population.
b. If the population of the gathering selected is less than half the
region's gathering population, I select another gathering, otherwise I
stop selecting gatherings.
c. The second gathering is also selected with a probability
proportionate to it's size (the population of the first gathering
selected has been deducted from the gathering population of the entire
region)
4. If the cumulative population in the two selected regions is less
than half the country's total population, I select another region as
described above, otherwise I stop selecting regions.

3. We sampled buildings from satellite images. The questionnaire
contains information on how many HH live in each building sampled.
More than one questionnaire could be administrated per building.

4. The weights are a separate issue. I am working with someone from
the maths department here and did not want to clutter this email or
the list with non-stata related problems. I will carry out the checks
you recommended.

Karin

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks Karin
>
> Some more questions and I think I can provide a workable -svyset- command
>
> 1. What proportions of the population (HH?) are inside and outside
> camps? How did you know this?
> 2. How many gatherings did you select for the sample?
> 3. What was the sampling process for HH in the camps camps and in the
> sampled gathering? I'm guessing that you listed all of them first.
>
> Not needed to do -svyset-, but important:
>
> Have you checked to see if the sum of the HH weights in the sample is
> close to the known number of HH for the sample and that this is true
> separately inside and outside the camps and for each region?
>
> Steve
>
> Steven J. Samuels
> [email protected]
> 18 Cantine's Island
> Saugerties NY 12477
> USA
> Voice: 845-246-0774
> Fax:    206-202-4783

Karin

+961 71843862

--
Karin

+961 71843862

--
Karin

+961 71843862

:24 PM, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks Karin
>
> Some more questions and I think I can provide a workable -svyset- command
>
> 1. What proportions of the population (HH?) are inside and outside
> camps? How did you know this?
> 2. How many gatherings did you select for the sample?
> 3. What was the sampling process for HH in the camps camps and in the
> sampled gathering? I'm guessing that you listed all of them first.
>
> Not needed to do -svyset-, but important:
>
> Have you checked to see if the sum of the HH weights in the sample is
> close to the known number of HH for the sample and that this is true
> separately inside and outside the camps and for each region?
>
> Steve
>
> Steven J. Samuels
> [email protected]
> 18 Cantine's Island