st: specifying SVYSET in household survey using multi-stage clustered sampling

From   Karin Seyfert <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: specifying SVYSET in household survey using multi-stage clustered sampling
Date   Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:22:55 +0300

Dear stata List,

we have run a large household survey among refugees.

Refugees live in clusters of camps or outside camp gatherings within
several regions.

We stratified our sample by 'camp' vs. 'outside camp gatherings' (1)
and region (2).
In strata (1) we under- and oversampled households to obtain robust
regional estimates.
Within strata (2), the camp/outside camp strata, we sampled households
proportional to the share of households living inside or outside
camps.

We selected clusters within these two strata as follows:
a) We selected all camps in all regions and
b) a certain number of gatherings in all regions. Gatherings were
selected with probabilities proportionate to their population within
each region. They were sampled without replacement.

Within the selected clusters, we used simple random sampling to select
refugee households.  Within each cluster we sampled about 5-10% of the
population. Since we are unsure about exact camp/gathering populations
and we sample a small share, we assume sampling with replacement.

I do have sampling weights (inverse probability of a HH being
selected) and have adjusted for over- and under-sampling within the
regional strata (variable called 'weights'). Some strata contain a
singleton SU (one region has only one camp), which we treat as
certainty units.

I am unsure how to specify -svyset-. Below is how I think the response
to -svydes- should look like. Does it look correct?  I would be
grateful for help with the question marks below. I am also unsure what
to specify as PSU, households or  clusters?

pweight:        weights
     VCE:        linearized
Single unit:   certainty
  Strata 1:     camp/gathering
        SU 1:     ?
   FPC 1:      ?
Strata 2:      regions
     SU 2:     households
   FPC 2:     number of households per region

I am sorry to take your time. I would really appreciate your help!
Please also correct any mistakes or inconsistencies in my reasoning.

Many Thanks
Karin Seyfert
PhD Candidate
School of Oriental and African Studies