Re: st: R: Estimating the number of workers in each industry in each district - flag: Stata 9/2 SE

Subject   Re: st: R: Estimating the number of workers in each industry in each district - flag: Stata 9/2 SE
Date   Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:18:22 -0400

You are welcome, Arka.  The 50% RSE criterion I've seen is a worst
case; 30% would be more believable.

Steve

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Arka Roy Chaudhuri <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Steve,
>
>     Thanks for all your suggestions. I have already ensured that I
> have adequate number of observations in each district-industry cell. I
> will also look at the relative standard error criterion.Once again
> thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Arka
>

>  Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Well, there will be numbers for up to 196,000 cells.  many will be
>> empty because of missing data; I would hesitate to call the remainder
>> "estimates'  unless the standard errors are reasonable and they were
>> based on >10 -20 observations in the category.
>>
>> I have seen designs in which sum-of-weights estimates were worthless
>> for estimating population totals, even with large sample sizes.  PPS
>> designs are less vulnerable to this kind of problem.
>>
>> Survey organizations generally have policies for suppressing
>> estimates based on small sample sizes. Perhaps there is a standard
>> practice in your field. I suggest that, in each district, you screen
>> the industries present in the sample for a minimum number of
>> individuals, say 10-20, and report proper survey estimates, with
>> standard errors, and sample n's only for those. You can group smaller
>> industries  groups to meet these criteria.. The relative standard
>> error (SE/estimate) x 100%  is another criterion people use for
>> suppressing estimates, and I've seen  RSE's of 50% used as a maximum.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> Steven J. Samuels
>> [email protected]