Re: st: R: Estimating the number of workers in each industry in each district - flag: Stata 9/2 SE

Subject   Re: st: R: Estimating the number of workers in each industry in each district - flag: Stata 9/2 SE
Date   Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:44:10 -0400

Arka-

Based on your description, you would -svyset- your data as follows:

Define a variable (call it "psu" for "primary sampling unit") which is
the village number (rural sector) or urban block( urban sector)

then
svyset psu [pw = your weight], strata(district)

If your data has one line per person, with "industry" categorized

then the command for totals might be

svy: tab district industry, count se format(%10.0fc)

If your data has only counts of workers in each industry in each HH,
then you should -expand- the data first so that it has one line for
each worker in the HH, e.g.

*************
expand hhsize
*************

(but that might include children, so you will have to take some care)

Now a word of advice. It is easy to go wrong in a survey analysis. As
you are a student, I suggest that you seek guidance from a faculty
member who is experienced in surveys, if not in Stata. (I know that
the Department of Statistics at UBC has a survey sampling course). I
also suggest that you obtain a text to learn about sampnling, such as
Sharon Lohr's "Sampling: Design and Analysis" (2009).  I also
recommend "Applied Survey Data Analysis" by Heeringa, West,and
Berglund (2010); it uses Stata almost exclusively for its examples.

Best wishes,

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
[email protected]