Re: st: Logistic regression interpretation

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Logistic regression interpretation
Date   Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:31:52 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 22/9/10, Dr. Bill Westman wrote:
> after the margins command, we have the four outcomes.
> The last line (1:1) in your example shows:
>
>  1 1  |   .4279095
> _b[1.married#1.collgrad] in my example  17.87322.
> How do you interpret the 17.87 margin?

Given the way I used the -margins- command (with the
-exp(exp(xb()))- option), it will produce odds. This is a
measure of the likelihood of death similar to but not the
same as a probabilty. The 100*probability gives you the
expected number of people that died per 100 persons, while
the odds gives you the expected number of people that died
per person that survives. So 17.87 means that you expect
to find within the high risk treatment group 17.87 dead
people for every living person. (Assuming that your dependent
variable is coded 1 "died", 0 "survived".)

> Also - those two di statements at show the exact same odds
> - was this intentional?

Yes, odds ratios are literaly that: ratios of odds. My example
was intended to show that, and that this odds ratio is constant
regardless of whether one is in the high risk or low risk group.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie