Re: st: Disabling Kalman filter in arima

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Disabling Kalman filter in arima
Date   Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:39:22 +0200

Hi Robert and everybody else

Thanks for your answer. As I wrote to Maarten I should have been more
specific. My problem is in the start of the dataset with e.g. a
MA(1)-model:

Y(t)=B0+B1*u(t-1)+u(t),             where u(t)=Y(t)-predicted Y(t)

If I estimate this model I obtain some estimates for B0 and B1. If I want
to obtain a predicted value for the first value of Y in my dataset - Y(0)
- I need some value for u(0-1). I would prefer to put u(0-1)=0 (both when
I estimate the equation and when I later use it for predictions) but Stata
does it different. It assigns some value to u(0-1) (even though Y(0-1) and
predicted Y(0-1) is unobserved) and my guess is that it uses the Kalman
filter to obtain this value. Because of this I want to turn of the Kalman
filter (or anything that would make Stata set u(0-1)=0 during estimation
and prediction).