Re: st: Disabling Kalman filter in arima

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Disabling Kalman filter in arima
Date   Sat, 18 Sep 2010 05:58:28 -0400

Kristian,
  Andrew Harvey has a parameterization for the model.  Whenever you do nonlinear estimation with ML you will need some starting values.   You can begin with a diffuse prior if you wish. The process if properly specified should iterate to a solution, although it will take a little longer to do so as long as the augmented Kalman filter is being used.  The nice thing about the Kalman filter is that it can handle missing observations, which arima by itself cannot.  Also the expected value of the error term is  = 0 and the first lag of it might not be far off at the start of the iterations.
As for the starting value of the variance with diffuse prior, that can be very large without causing any difficulty.
  Thanks to the duality between an MA(1) model and an infinite lagged AR model,  the Kalman filter, which uses a first order Markov process to optimize flexibility in the state equation should be able to handle the DGP unless your series is intrinsically nonlinear.   You could always try loading cubic spliines into the state vector if faced with that kind of situation.  However, if your series is really nonGaussian and nonlinear, you will probably need to use MCM to estimate it.
   Cheers,
       Robert

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.
Research Professor