st: Identifier names on Statalist [was: How to read a particular value in a variables then save it to macro?]

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Identifier names on Statalist [was: How to read a particular value in a variables then save it to macro?]
Date   Sun, 29 Aug 2010 16:28:41 +0100

Surprising though it may seem, we don't have any rules on names and/or identifiers used on Statalist. That would be futile any way.

But just brief acquaintance with the list shows that most people do use their real names. Personally I think that is a valuable and healthy tradition.

In addition I agree broadly in spirit with David. Names based on "Stata" may prove even slightly confusing or irritating to others. That confusion or irritation may reduce people's willingness to take you seriously and answer your question. Please avoid.

Allen (a.k.a.) STATALIST STATALIST

My apology for causing such a confusion, actually,  I just want to
register a new email account for keeping the statalist discussion
only. That is my only intent. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

David Elliott

> Agreed, Jeph, and I did note Allen used his name in his closing and I
> also know some users create special accounts for mailing lists (which
> are notoriously trolled by spammers for email addresses).  I simply
> take exception to the potential confusion arising from using Statalist
> as a username.  Unlike simply having a different email account, it
> provides the sender no additional benefit in distinguishing return
> posts because they will be be named Statalist
> <[email protected]> anyhow. Your own use of an email
> account stata@spa... causes no confusion because you are still clearly
> identified as yourself.
>
> Perhaps I'm just old and cranky and easily confused...

David Elliott