st: Evaluating a set of conditions

From   Thomas Speidel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Evaluating a set of conditions
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:41:02 -0600

I realize this is a very broad question and no one solution can fit all problems. I am looking for more efficient or elegant alternatives to evaluate a set of conditions in Stata, than a lenghty if qualifier. E.g.:

do something if A==1 & (B>2 & B<.) & (C==1 | D!=2)

these expression can become lengthy and one can think of more elegant ways to come to the same results. cond and inrange are the first things that come to my mind that may (or may not) simplify the problem, but I hardly ever use them because understanding them (or remembering them) usually takes longer then writing the 'lengthy' qualifiers. To complicate matters one has to account for missing values. Admittedly, this question came about from the recent topic on missing values.
If someone want to share an example, please do so.

--
Thomas Speidel