Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated
Date   Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:44:06 -0700

Dear Ricardo

  This is a complete stumper... I totally understand why you are so frustrated.

The problem lies with the fact that Stata is conceptualizing the left axis as the "x" axis because it is the axis that contains the categorical variable. Thus, the -yscale- options impact the bottom axis (with, in this example, -weight- and -price-). So, to alter the line, we would need to refer to the -xscale()- , which is not a legal thing to refer to. For such graphs, Stata does not permit the -xscale()- option.

The only way I can figure to do this is with the graph editor. I made a little movie of how to do this at

  http://screencast.com/t/YjhlZGM2MTI

If you need to do this for multiple graphs, you can use the graph recorder to record this process, and then play back the recorded file against other graphs (see -help graph play-).

  I hope this helps!

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html