Re: st: AW: mfx-Elasticity for a dummy variable

From   A Loumiotis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: mfx-Elasticity for a dummy variable
Date   Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:11:33 +0300

your model is (correct me if i'm wrong):

ln(y) = a + b ln(x) + c T + dZ + error

The elasticity of y with respect to T is
(dy/y)/(dT/T)=dln(y)/(dT/T)=(dln(y)/dT)/T=c/T.

So, the elasticity of y with respect to T does not depend on the means
of ln(x) and ln(y).  As I said in my previous reply it is equal to the
coefficient of the dummy variable T divided by T (= c / T).  So the
elasticity will be equal to "c"  only if you calculate it at T=1 and
not at the mean of T.  It is your call but you should consider the
drawbacks of computing elasticities with respect to dummy(discrete)
variables.

Antonis