RE: st: counting variables within a row

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: counting variables within a row
Date   Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:00:49 +0100

I endorse Sarah's approach. Another way of writing the code is to change
a statement like

         replace lightcount_d1=lightcount_d1+1 if met_a`num'>0 &
met_a`num'<3

to one like

         replace lightcount_d1=lightcount_d1 + (met_a`num'>0 &
met_a`num'<3)

The logic here is that parenthesised expression is evaluated as 1 or 0
according to whether it is true of false. This is mostly a matter of
taste: many may find the first version more transparent, but roughly
speaking the more you program, the more you may like the second version.

Sarah Elizabeth Edgington

You could use a foreach loop to assess your criteria for each
variable and then add 1 to a count variable if it's true.  To save
myself some typing I'm going to assume a simpler case where you only
have five variables but you can extend it beyond that to the full
eighteen (note that if you were using variable names with a numeric
suffix like met_a1 you could use a forvalues loop).
To get your first count it might look something like this:

gen lightcount_d1=0
foreach num in one two three four five {
         replace lightcount_d1=lightcount_d1+1 if met_a`num'>0 &
met_a`num'<3
}

There may be other ways to do this but this is the first that occurs to
me.

Casey P. Durand