Re: st: discrete hazard modells: irregular time intervals

Subject   Re: st: discrete hazard modells: irregular time intervals
Date   Mon, 31 May 2010 07:52:02 -0400

Oliver privately  sent Bob and me the email below.  I've removed the
figures that he mentions.

You have defined failure as the "last year" that the company is
mentioned in your source.  But companies can (temporarily) disappear
and re-appear  for the reasons you mention.  What is the maximum time
that a company would have to be absent before you believe that the
disappearance is permanent?  Say, for the sake of argument, it is six
years.  Then I suggest that you end your observations in 1994, and
define a disappearance as any company which has disappeared before
then,  because you cannot be sure company that disappears in 1995-2000
will not reappear.  I also suggest that you use the time to the last
disappearance defined this way as your outcome and ignore the prior
gaps.  This might be your best analysis under the circumstances.
Also, investigate the age-period-cohort approach.

Some other comments:
1. If the address books are published every two years, then a
"permanent"disappearance of the kind I suggest means that you do
indeed have interval censoring (in the two years since the last
publication).  You cannot detect disappearances and re-appearances
within the two year publishing interval.  Therefore, I think that you
will have to assume that the company existed during the entire
interval.
2. I have no solution to your left-side problem.
3. "Discrete" and "grouped" analysis will be the same only if the
grouping intervals are  of equal size.  See: Stephen Jenkins's text
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/survival-analysis
4. Definition of "lifetime" is an issue because of the temporary
disappearances and re-appearances.

Good luck.

Steven

--