RE: st: RE: RE: median equality test for non normal variables

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: median equality test for non normal variables
Date   Tue, 25 May 2010 11:04:47 -0500

Isn't it true that the Wilcoxon rank sum test is designed only for possibilities of one distribution being a translation of the other? So the null would be identical distributions; the alternatives would be that the distributions differ only by a translation.

So if distributions have different shapes but the same medians one might naively assume the "null" is true, but as this example shows, such a condition will likely be rejected by -ranksum-.

Here's another example with continuous data:

One distribution is gamma(1,1), while the other is a reflection of the first plus a translation so that both have the same median.

drop _all
 set obs 100
 gen y=rgamma(1,1)
 summ y,det
 local med = r(p50)
 set obs 200
 gen group = 1 in 1/100
 replace group=2 in 101/200
 gen negy = -y[_n-100] if group==2
 replace y = 2*`med'+negy if group==2
 noi sum y if group==1,det
 noi sum y if group==2,det
 noi ranksum y,by(group)
 noi qreg y group

Note -ranksum- rejects its null (that the two distributions are identical, not that the medians are the same), whereas -qreg- accepts its null of equal medians.

Al Feiveson