st: RE: read dbf files directly into Stata?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: read dbf files directly into Stata?
Date   Tue, 18 May 2010 16:59:12 +0100

No, I don't think so. If you're reluctant to adopt these other
solutions, it seems as if the only alternative is to go upstream and see
if your dataset provider can provide something other than .dbf.

Brownell, Peter

I am wondering if there is a command available to read .dbf files
directly into Stata with jumping through the hoops of -odbc-?

I see that -shp2dta- converts .dbf files together with shape files into
Stata .dta files, but I haven't found any syntax to make it work with
only a .dbf file.

I was opening them with MS Excel and saving them as .csv files and then
using -insheet-, but I then realized that I was losing observations in
some of the larger files because Excel couldn't handle that many
observations.

Worst case, I can load the files on a machine with StatTransfer, but it
seems like it should be possible to do with just Stata. Any advice?